Dental implants in Knoxville are helping people all over Eastern Tennessee to enjoy freedom from tooth and gum disease, improved self-confidence and a better quality of life overall. Nonetheless, many patients have understandable concerns about the fees associated with this gentle, effective form of dental therapy. In this post, we’ll explain why there is no quick and easy answer to the question of how much dental implants cost. We’ll review some of the more common implant therapy approaches and discuss strategies for making implants affordable. Use this information to make informed decisions about your health care needs.
Why There Is No One-Size-Fits-All Answer
Everyone’s teeth are unique. A treatment that works great for one patient may be less than satisfactory for another. That’s why no legitimate dental practice can give you an off-the-cuff answer to questions of cost. Some of the factors that affect this issue include:
- Your overall state of dental health. Advanced cases of tooth and gum disease, in which many or most of the natural teeth are missing, usually require a more extensive treatment than milder instances.
- Your personal goals. Are your concerns primarily aesthetic, health-related, or a mixture of the two? By themselves, cosmetic issues can usually be better treated through options such as veneers. On the other hand, extensive tooth decay or missing teeth may require implants to correct.
- Your dental history. For most people, implants are a better approach than crowns or bridges. But only a dentist can say for sure. This is one reason why a preliminary checkup is so important.
- The type of treatment in which you’re interested. For example, some procedures use an implant/denture plate hybrid approach. Not only is this usually a more affordable solution than a tooth by tooth strategy, it may require less recovery time as well.
Does Dental Insurance Cover Implants?
This is a question we often receive from our patients. As with the matter of costs, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. However, here are some helpful guidelines to keep in mind:
- Many dental plans do cover a portion of the costs associated with implant therapy. The exact percentage will differ depending on your provider and the nature of your plan. More and more insurance companies are realizing that implants offer many advantages when compared to older options.
- A number of firms offer financing for implants and other forms of dental therapy. Interest rates, repayment terms, and benefit amounts vary widely from one provider to the next. Ask the office manager at your clinic for more information about these options.
We want to stress that only a dental professional can give you specific information about costs. Be wary of anyone who tells you otherwise. The first step is to make an appointment with your dentist in Knoxville to discuss implant therapy. He or she will review your oral health history, perform a complete checkup and discuss your options with you at that time. For many patients, implants are an affordable, effective solution to their dental care needs.
About the Author
Dr. Joe (Jody) Griffin is a Knoxville native and an honors graduate of the dental program at UT-Memphis. He has received extensive training in dental implant and bone grafting procedures. You can reach his office online or by calling 865-531-7177.