How ‘bout a stunning smile to make your summer even brighter? Of course, a dazzling smile is a year-round reward, but why wait any longer when the perfect smile you have been longing for is no longer out of reach? With porcelain veneers, you can have a smile that you thought only movie stars could flash. They are so natural looking, feel and function like your real teeth, and will give your self-esteem a boost that you just won’t believe.
Whether you need a minor cosmetic change or something more significant, porcelain veneers will change your smile for the better. Our team of dentists are not only technically savvy, but artfully advanced to make every smile look simply stunning.
Read on for more information about porcelain veneers, why they could be the clear cosmetic choice for you, and what is involved in the process. You’re probably smiling already!
What Porcelain Veneers are Made of and How The Process Goes
Porcelain veneers are made of porcelain (obviously), but they are crafted into thin shells that look just like real teeth. There is no “one size fits all” when it comes to their creation – each “tooth” is custom-made to fit and feel fabulous for the patient who’ll be wearing them.
As for placement, it will be a two-visit process to our practice. During your first appointment at Cornerstone Dental Arts, we will prep your teeth by removing a very thin layer of the enamel. This won’t damage the teeth or cause discomfort, but it will allow for room for the porcelain veneers to be placed over top. You do not want the veneer to protrude unnaturally or look too thick, so this minor removal allows for these cosmetic concerns. Once the enamel is carefully removed, we will take impressions of your teeth which will be sent to the lab where the veneers will be designed. While they are being crafted, temporary veneers will be placed over your teeth in the interim.
Once the veneers are ready (a few weeks at most), you will return to the office for your second (and final) appointment. With a special adhesive process, we will attach them to your teeth for a strong hold that will last for many happy years with proper care (details on care below). They will function just like real teeth, but look so much better. Another perk? They won’t stain!
Who is a Good Candidate for Porcelain Veneers?
If you have any of the following situations with your smile that you’d like to correct, you may be a good candidate for porcelain veneers. Of course, talk to your dentist to determine if porcelain veneers will correct the condition to your satisfaction.
- Chipped teeth
- Cracked teeth
- Stained/dull teeth
- Slightly crooked teeth (too crooked may require orthodontic work)
- Broken teeth
- Teeth are too long or too short (or mismatched)
- Bite is off/misalignment
- Spaces/gaps between teeth
Some patients have a series of teeth that can benefit from the beauty of porcelain veneers while others only have a tooth or two that need work. Every patient has specific needs and desires, and the Cornerstone Dental Arts team is here to hear your goals and recommend a smile-improving solution.
Caring for Your Porcelain Veneers
Just like your natural teeth, teeth with veneers over top need to be taken care of properly. While they are super strong and durable, it does not mean they do not need good care to last to their full capacity. Here are some simple but important tips to follow to help keep your veneers in tip-top condition:
- Schedule (and keep) your dental cleaning exams. Your teeth need to be checked and cleaned, including your veneers. Plus, if they happen to chip or seem to be faulty in any way, we can figure that out right away before the issue leads to potential further damage. Twice a year is what is generally recommended in terms of regular oral exams.
- Do not clench or grind your teeth. This will wear away at the porcelain, not to mention the potential it has to affect your other teeth and jaw. If you think you may be clenching or grinding while you sleep, talk to your dentist about wearing a night guard at bedtime to prevent damage.
- Do not whiten your veneers. They will remain nearly flawless if you practice good oral hygiene habits. They will not whiten like natural teeth and can become discolored due to the bleaching agents in most whiteners.
- Brush and floss twice daily as you would regularly for excellent overall oral hygiene.
Are you ready to reveal a brand new smile? Porcelain veneers may be exactly what you need to smile like your favorite celeb. Give us a call at 865-290-1063 for more information or to schedule a consultation with one of the Cornerstone Dental Arts dentists.